You’re packing to move and you can’t believe you own this much.
“Where did all this stuff come from anyway? How did it all fit in here in the first place? I can’t believe how long this is taking and how many boxes we have! AAAaahhhh!!!!”
Well, it’s true. When we pull everything out of its storage space, we can see the volume of what we really have. And, for those things that haven’t been seen or touched in years: much of it is astonishing.
“Cans of hairspray? Wait. I haven’t bought hairspray in a can in at least 2…uh, 5…oh, I don’t know – better throw that out. How did these shoes get back here? Man, they’re dusty. And sort of misshapen. Well, okay very misshapen. Nevermind. Out! And, wait. Do we really have 6 new containers of black pepper? Six? I had no idea. This will last us forever!”
NOW is your chance!
You are moving into a new home. Whether larger or smaller than your last, it’s an opportunity to get organized – right from the start! Here are 6 spaces to set up when you move in so you can get and stay organized:
Spice Storage: There are so many options for organizing spices that there is really no reason you need to fight to find what you need, have bottles and jars falling out onto you as you reach behind, or repurchase multiples of what you already have.
- Sterline Cabinet Turntable – not your average space-hogging Lazy Susan. I use it in my own kitchen!
- Mountable Spice Rack – let’s you utilize wall space or the inside of a cabinet door.
- Rev-A-Shelf Spice-Drawer Insert – if you have the drawer space, this is a convenient and user-friendly idea.
Pantry: DIY or go the extra mile and get pro-installation. A pantry organizing system will be a delight to your family today and a great selling point tomorrow.
- Shelf Genie – products that are made to fit, professionally installed and guaranteed to last.
- Container Store Solutions – want to avoid adding anything permanent? Shelf bins and door racks can do the trick.
Under Sinks: Either in the kitchen or bathrooms, under sink storage will make ALL the difference. Enjoy the control and say goodbye to yucky under-sink messes!
- Pull Out Drawer Solution – install a shelf that can slide out to reach what’s in the back.
- Small Totes or Baskets – Simply use a basket or two to catch your under-sink supplies.
Shoes: The struggle is real. First decide where you want to store them (By the entryway? In a closet? Under the bed? In the garage?) Then, reign them in.
- Container Store Stackable Shoe Shelves – perfect for inside a closet.
- Target Standing Shoe Rack – a little overwhelming for a bedroom but a great for solution for garage entryway.
- Amazon Shoe Space Savers – these little devises will cut your need for space in half!
Bedroom Closets: If you are renting a home, you may want to save money and purchase some temporary solutions that you can take with you when you move out. For homeowners, installing built-ins is the way to go.
- Closets By Design – Go for it and get it done right!
- Temporary & Portable Solutions – Not ready to commit? Try something less permanent.
Storage Area: Before you go building columns and walls of heavy boxes stacked one atop another; stop and think. This is what got you into the last mess of storage chaos. Is there room for some shelving? Is there ceiling or wall space to be taken advantage of?
- AtticTracPlus – quick and easy to set up. Makes attic storage usable!
- Garage Sense – Use ALL the space your garage has to offer and get things out from under your feet!
- Basement – Simple shelving will do the trick.