Wow! Summer vacation is right around the corner. I’m sure we all can become overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of chauffeuring our children back and forth and to all the end of school events. Let alone commuting to your own appointments; the last thing most of us are thinking about is keeping our car clean and organized. After all, being that high profile chauffer to those daily and extracurricular activities can be very tasking. It isn’t until a friend you haven’t seen in ages comes up to your car you feel embarrassed. Then you get a frightful look on your face when you realize it looks like you’ve lived in the car for the past 6 months. You say to yourself I’ve got to clean this car.
Don’t fret you still have time to get your car ready for the summer. Keeping your car organized can make your travel time less stressful. Here are some helpful tips below:
- Sort and clean out your car: Get rid of anything that doesn’t belong. Keep a small trash bag in the car. If you have children assign duties. One child can take out trash and another can take out toys, groceries etc…make it a family affair. Let anyone who comes in your know about your “trash in, trash out” policy. Get a small car vacuum and vacuum once a week. It will make a big difference.
- Make sure you have all important papers in your glove compartment like car manual, registration and insurance forms. Check every six months to make sure those documents are up to date. Keep a small change purse so you will always have money for those parking meters. Keep your GPS handy.
- Remember to keep your car smelling fresh with air fresheners. It adds a nice touch of clean. Look in your local coupon circular for car wash specials.
- Keep reading material, cds and dvds to a minimum. Too many of these items can cause clutter and end up on the car floor. Remember to establish an in and out policy. About 10 minutes before we make it home I ask my son, “is my car clean back there?” Then he knows it’s time to gather up his stuff.
- There are some really cool car storage organizers you can get at Organized A to Z that can help you save time and money to keep the car organized.
- Here are some items that should be in your car at all times: You can get one of those trunk organizers and place Velcro at the bottom. Place items like first aid kit, flashlight, blanket, umbrella, neck pillow, paper towels, canvas tote bag, cleaning rag, ice scraper, empty water bottle, and jumper cables. In addition, keep a pre-packed beach bag; don’t forget sunscreen and chairs for summer activities.
- Lastly, we spend so much time in our car why not makes it as comfortable as possible. Once you establish a system to declutter and organize your life in your car you will feel a better.
Enjoy your summer! Happy Organizing.